Ursa Major Monthly

Ursa Major Monthly

Do Top Three Have Lives?

Madie, Editor-in-Chief

For most students, high school is a time for adventure, friendships, drama, and romance. However, for some, it is an opportunity to work on skills and creating options for their career and future. These students are often perceived as people who can not make time for fun, but that could not be further from the truth.

These girls are involved in multiple school activities, have loads of homework, jobs, and have to handle massive amounts of stress only some of us could comprehend. Seniors Debbie Gonzalez, Grace Sandstrum, and Devin Franklin are ranked top three in the class of 2017.

From a varsity soccer team member, drum major in band, to co-editor in chief of yearbook, you would think that being in top three for these girls is enough – but that is not the case. They are all involved in many things and are dedicated to going above and beyond.

“I’m a four year StuCo member and I’m currently student body president. I’m in NHS parliament. I’m in PALS, NEHS, Quill and Scroll, HOSA, UIL, and I’m co-editor-in-chief of the yearbook.” Senior Devin Franklin says.

One thing that takes a lot of their time is homework. They could spend on an average of 2-4 hours a night working on it, but like us “normies” they struggle and procrastinate too.

‘’Maybe like 2-3 hours. Freshman and sophomore year I could knock it out in one sitting,” stated senior, Debbie Gonzales. “- But ya girl has had senioritis the past two years and sneaks it in during breakfast, power hour, or the period before it’s due. It’s bad, I know.”

With everything, you would think that jobs would not even be on their list, but it is. Debbie and Devin have jobs, and they both try to work around their school schedule as much as they can. Debbie is a soccer referee, which she loves because it involves her favorite sport. “I have two jobs but I only work weekend, so it’s not that bad,” Franklin said.

Inspiration is one of the only things that motivates us sometimes, and it comes from everywhere – i.e., music, art, celebrities, family etc. With that motivation and creativity, we have the potential to do great things.

“When I was in 8th grade, my older cousin graduated valedictorian and I remember how much pride it brought to my family,” Gonzalez said, “I actually messaged her and asked her what a “valedictorian” was and how she accomplished it, and so since I was 14 that’s been a little goal in the back of my mind.”

They still have family, boyfriends, friends, and dreams like everyone else does, and they still manage to stay academically inclined.

“I don’t really think about rank when I work, I just work hard. So, I guess I have to work hard to maintain, but at the same time, it’s not really a goal of mine. I just do me; I’m here to learn,” Senior Grace Sandstrom said. “So, I guess it’s hard to be in the top three, but I don’t really think about things that way.”  

These are the words of the top three in the class of 2017, and they have advice to offer to all students, freshmen through juniors, who want to follow in their footsteps.

“Work hard, get some sleep, and always remember: it’s just a number and hardly anyone will care in like 5 years. Learn because you want to, be nice to everybody, and always have an open mind,” Gonzales said.

“Dudes – the number doesn’t matter. What matters is that you are working hard and learning! No number will ever mean anything if you didn’t learn anything! Who cares if you’re #1 if you don’t know anything about anything? Let that rank come as a side effect of learning for yourself,” Sandstrom said.

“Work hard, but don’t forget to enjoy you high school experience. Being top 3 is really cool,but being involved and creating high school memories is way more important long term,” said Franklin.

Most importantly, always remember to just “Enjoy the ride.