Ursa Major Monthly

Ursa Major Monthly

Unprepared Hands

Jada Carlisle, Manager Editor

Do you feel like you are prepared for life outside of high school? Do you think schools are preparing students for adulthood? The school board may think they are doing fine, by preparing us for tests and exams, however the students certainly think different.

It can be hard moving into adulthood, and we all could use a little help. In school, students are not taught the whole “kit and caboodle.”

“I definitely think there could be more that was done, I feel like we’re being pushed to graduate and after that it doesn’t matter,” Senior Grace Standstrum said. “I think that we could be given more autonomy. But I also think we need to be taught real world skills. How to balance a checkbook, how mortgages work, what

not to do about student loans, etc.”

Students in high school are eager to learn how to handle life when it comes at them  like a brick wall after graduation. They need help, help that the schools today just are not providing.  

“No, They don’t teach us basic life skills that we need in order to be functioning adults, such as filing taxes,” Senior Lacie Cassady said. ”We are told that our parents are in charge of that, but in reality our parents are hardly home due to work.”

Today’s youth needs the Financial Literacy classes, they need to be taught better home economics, better sex ed, and basic life skills. Students are pleading to learn what today’s media is calling “adulting.”

“The biggest shock in college isn’t the ‘freedom’ like everyone says. It’s the sudden need to be an adult. Most of my friends on campus can’t cook, budget their money or do their own laundry.” Alumni, Taylor Christ said.

A college success blog by Dr. Michael W. Kirst reports that there was a national survey released by Achieve – Rising to the challenge: Are High School Graduates Prepared for College and Work, which shows that 50% of graduates report gaps in preparation for life.

“I think building up the CTE department has been a great stride because it’s directly preparing kids that know exactly what they want to do,” senior Devin Franklin said. “I really just think maybe offering a class about how to pay bills or buy a car would make a huge difference. People always say ‘nothing in high school prepares me for life,’ but I think if a class was offered, they’d have to find a new excuse for not wanting to do algebra homework.” Students’ hands are held throughout high school, they are told what to do, and when to do it. Then when it comes to the end, they are left unprepared for the “real world” they are suddenly pushed into. These are young adults, the “future of tomorrow”, not children. They deserve the tools and knowledge for what they will face.

“I feel like a 6-year-old when I have to ask to go to the restroom. But on a more mature note, I feel that we’re shielded from the realities of adulthood like debt, taxes, and just general “adult” things,” Sandstrum said. “It’s just really menacing, because we all know that we’ll have to face those things soon, but no one tells us how to deal with them. In short, we’re not being taught how to be adults. We’re being taught to take tests.”